Monday, June 22, 2009

Making music... and how !?!

There are music shows and there are music shows. But every once in a while something comes your way that blows away all known rules, patterns and norms and creates a space, a genre for itself.

One such event is the Coke Studio series. I came across the first season while surfing random videos on youtube, and by the end of the evening - I had the entire series downloaded.

Pakistani music producer Rohail Hayat brought together artists from various genres of the Pakistani music scene and got them to jam and perform live - the result? Sheer magic.




I was eagerly looking forward to season 2 - and minutes into the first video - the bat had been raised beyond the stratosphere. Sain Zahoor & Noori collaborated to come up with this otherworldly rendition of a Bulleh Shah kafi, Aik Alif.

Now I hope SOMEONE in Bollywood or at Coke comes up with the brilliant idea of copying this format and get some of the Indian artists to perform like this. PLEASE...

5 comments:

MinCat said...

but they had one on channel V i think long ago, i remember parikrama and usha uthup for one. Jammin' it was called

chandni said...

i love the header!

Anonymous said...

Hey Boy!
I need to ask you something about cameras. I couldn't find your e-mail address mentioned anywhere here. Could you please share it?
Swathi

Sidhusaaheb said...

I absolutely loved the first four and a half minutes of this! Could've done without the Urdu/Hindi interjection though...I wish the entire track had been in Punjabi.

:)

Chayakaar said...

Thank you for the song. I can't just get over it. It's been ages since I got goose bumps and tears listening to a song.